Road construction from asphalt crumb
Any road, no matter what surface it has, needs to follow certain rules. The construction of a road from asphalt chips can be divided into the following stages:
- Preparatory work includes removing the topsoil along with all vegetation. This is done due to the fact that in the future such vegetation decays, and the road may begin to sag. To prevent such subsidence, in places where the road is planned to be built, the top layer of soil is removed. This is done using excavators.
- Arrangement of a drainage system is the construction of ditches or ditches along roads. The drainage system is made so that water is drained from the roadway into the ditch as quickly as possible. The presence of a high-quality drainage system allows to increase the service life of the road several times. The arrangement is carried out using mini excavators and backhoe loaders.
- Geotextiles are laid as the lowest layer. However, very often, to save money, this layer is neglected. But as practice has shown, geotextiles can significantly increase the service life of the road.
- Sand bed is a uniformly distributed layer of sand. The sand is brought to the construction site by dump trucks and leveled with excavators of various capacities. The sand layer should be at least 10 centimeters. After leveling it, the sand layer must be tamped. This must be done using road rollers. But due to the fact that mainly country or temporary roads are built from asphalt crumbs, compaction of the sand layer is very often neglected.
- Crushed stone - the next layer of bedding, which consists of crushed stone. Ideally, there should be two layers of crushed stone. The lower layer consists of coarse crushed stone, the upper one - of fine. But under the road from asphalt crumbs, almost always only one layer of crushed stone of any fraction that is more accessible is poured.
- Asphalt crumbs are laid manually. It is brought by dump trucks, and leveled using excavators, backhoe loaders and mini excavators. Handicrafts play an important role at this stage. After all, the final leveling of this asphalt surface is carried out using a conventional shovel.
Asphalt crumb, like regular asphalt, require compaction. But most often, this material is compacted under the pressure of cars passing through it.
Asphalt crumb manufacturing
It is a recyclable product. There are two types of crumbs. The first type of this material is produced using a special cutter, which cuts off the old asphalt pavement layer by layer. The old asphalt is crushed into small particles immediately after being cut. This crumb has a finer fraction. This makes it better quality. Most often, asphalt chips, which are obtained using a milling cutter, are used immediately after they are made. If necessary, if it is necessary to increase the characteristics, bitumen or other additives are additionally added to it.
The second type is produced by crushing. Crushing is carried out by means of special crushing plants. These installations are loaded with pieces of dismantled old asphalt. The output is asphalt crumb of a larger fraction. Such crumbs are of lower quality. But it costs much less than the one obtained by milling.
Which is better, asphalt or asphalt crumb?
Logically, asphalt is a new material for road surfaces. Asphalt crumb is a kind of asphalt pavement waste. Everyone knows that waste cannot be of better quality than the original raw material. But in any case, it is worth noting that it has excellent properties that can turn a crushed stone road into a full-fledged asphalt road. And this is for a very reasonable cost. If the money does not allow you to build a road from full-fledged asphalt, then it will be the ideal material.
Where to order services for the construction of a road from asphalt crumb?
Our company provides services for the construction of roads of any complexity. Asphalt roads are no exception. We can completely asphalt an existing road, we can repair it, or we can build it completely. We cooperate with a large number of road companies. This means that we can get asphalt crumb almost always.